Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Losing the Mom Costume

Happy Friday friends! It's hard to believe another week has already passed us by...just four weeks until summer vacation. This week my boys(3 and 8) had their dental cleanings. This was my three-year-olds second visit to the dentist and well, let's just say last time he left his mark. On the poor dentist's finger, that is.
A mere five seconds after he went back, I could hear him screaming and carrying on. Then suddenly, he stopped. Across the crowded waiting room one of the other moms looked up at me and spoke. "Maybe they knocked him out," she said as she laughed. I smiled and continued with my writing, really not sure how to respond.
Speaking of interesting trips to the dentist, I had an interesting visit myself a few months back. I hadn't been in some time, shameful I know but I've just been so busy with the kids and all. The hygienist came out to the waiting room, directed me to her chair and started cleaning my teeth. After a bit, she stopped working, pulled back her chair looking me in the eye. "You know," she said. "You would feel better if you took better care of yourself. Your kids would respect you for it. You can't take care of everyone else if you don't properly take care of yourself."
I was blown away- I didn't even know this lady, had never seen her before in my life. Afterwards she went back to work and we made small talk for the rest of my visit.
Going along with the rest of my hectic day, I didn't give my morning much thought. Until late that evening when I caught sight of something horrible- myself in the bathroom mirror. I was wearing the same thing I had worn to the dentist that morning, a worn out t-shirt and ripped jeans. My hair was piled on top of my head in a messy ball. This had become my mom uniform, and I wore it everywhere. It was that evening, I decided it was time for a change. I realized the hygienist was right, there was nothing wrong with investing a little time in myself. My life started to change that day.
I started exercising and making time in the morning to put on some make-up and fix my hair. I went shopping(for myself) and bought some pretty blouses, dressier jeans and a few accessories. I didn't spend much, the items I bought were on sale, but they made me feel like a million bucks. Just taking that little bit of time each day to do something for myself has made me feel so much better. Don't get me wrong, I still get tired, worn down and grouchy sometimes, that's life. And I still wear my mom costume- when I am cleaning the house or having a marathon writing session.
But in the midst of all the hustle and bustle(which I love) at our house I try and remember to take a minute each day- just for me.
I hope you get to do the same mama- Enjoy your weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment